Food fight!!!!! (was Re: [mythtv-users] Power to the Masses ...)

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Fri Mar 25 06:09:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 22:59 -0500, Jeff Simpson wrote:
> > Well, for certain tasks, Megahertz really do matter.  Encoding
> > with lame, for example.
>
> Not to continue a flame war, but frequency is really no longer an
> accurate measure of speed. Both Intel and AMD adopted a numbering
> system for their chips that is NOT the clock speed, for the purpose of
> giving the consumer an idea of how fast the chip operates (for
> example, my AMD 1600 is not 1600 Mhz, it's 1.43Ghz). I don't know what
> the new measure is for the Intel chips, only that it's not straight
> Ghz. A better way to measure it would be operations / second, but even
> that depends on optimizations, what compiler is used, what the
> operation is, etc. If the pentium happens to have more efficient mpeg
> decoding,

Being pedantic, but it's important: the Pentium doesn't "have"
anything.  Some architectures are better suited to some tasks,
though.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTI0LDM=
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2275&p=13
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1783&p=18
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1783&p=19

If there were such a thing as lame or a video {en|de}coder for
MS-DOS (or any single-tasking OS, for that matter), the P4's super-
deep pipeline would just eat thru the data.

>           it will work better than the AMD, regardless of the
> frequency the chip runs at. I prefer AMD chips because you get a lot
> more bang for your buck, but I'm not surprised that pentium
> outperforms on this task at the higher end of the market.
>
> But again, this is just based on what I've heard from people who've
> tried it, I haven't looked at any benchmarks on the subject (although
> I would like to see some mpeg decoding benchmarks if there are any out
> there).

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"The chief excitement in a woman's life is spotting women who are
fatter than she is."
Helen Rowland