[mythtv-users] HDTV Streaming over Wireless

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Fri Mar 25 00:06:56 UTC 2005

HD can be up to about 20Mb/s roughly then add tcp headers.  The fastest
real world throughput you can get with a very good signal on a 54Mb
wireless a router is about 27-29Mb/s constant.  (I work in this industry
so trust me on this).  If you start adding walls it drops quickly.
Fire up a neighbors cordless phone or your own microwave and you have
even less usable bandwidth.  Bottom line is you're right on the border
with a perfect signal to get enough bandwidth to push HD through all the
time.

I've spoken with several people who have tried it and they report "it
works for the most part" but rarely can they get through a show without
it pausing a few times.  I haven't heard of anyone using 108Mb/s
wireless routers yet to see if that help.

My recommendation is don't do wireless.  I think the Myth Docs say
something like "Don't even think about it."  But if it works for you let
us know how you got it to work.

--Brandon