[mythtv-users] Mythtv DVD changer integration

Ben Norling benorling at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 22:33:54 UTC 2005

--- kedlm at charter.net wrote:

> >   I am planning to use the video section of mythtv
> > manage my dvd collection in my 400 disc dvd
> changer.
> > I also want the myth system to control the dvd
> > changer.
> Sounds neat; what DVD changer do you have? I've
> thought about this myself.
I have a 400 disc sony dvd changer.

> >   What I planned was this:
> >
> >  Put text files in the video section of the hard
> drive
> > on the myth system containing the disc number of
> the
> > movie.  When the movie is selected instead of
> running
> > mplayer, a program will launch which sends ir
> codes to
> > the dvd player if it's a DVD movie.
> I do something similar.  For mythvideo and mythdvd I
> have a small bash script that runs instead of
> xine/mplayer directly.  It looks at the extention of
> the file it was passed to do different things: play
> a file in mplayer or xine, play a list of files,
> play an entire dir.
>
> You could easily do something like that and have it
> do "something" if it sees "some cool movie.changer"
> for instance.
>
> > Otherwise it will
> > launch mplayer with the name of the file.  I'd
> also
> > like a program that would intercept IR codes from
> the
> > remote and translate them and re-send them to the
> DVD
> > player so I can use the myth remote for the dvd
> > changer.
>
> I'm not sure what codes you need to intercept/send:
> pause/rew/ff/left/right/up/down/select/menu/stop?

Those are pretty much the codes I would want to
intercept.  The goal here being that you use the myth
remote to control the dvd player much the same way as
you would the movies played from files.   All a part
of the wife-proofing effort of my system.

> I'm sure you can do this pretty easily from what
> I've done with LIRC.
> My system includes a receiver and blaster and you
> could hook them together with a shell script or C
> program.
>
> But this brings up another question: where does the
> video/audio from this thing go?  into a
> video/audio-in in the computer? (not really worth it
> unless you want to record it; it won't look as good)
> or directly into the tv and you need to have the tv
> switch inputs when the changer plays? (sounds more
> likely; but are you going to IR blast the TV to
> switch back and forth?)
Yes, the blaster would be switching the input on a AV
receiver when switching to a DVD movie versus a file
movie.  When you're done watching the movie, you hit
the exit button on the remote (Or whatever) and the
ir-blaster stops the dvd player and switches the
receiver back to the myth input and exits from the
"special" program.  The whole goal of all of this is
to have as seamless an integration as possible.  By
the way, what IR blaster are you using?