[mythtv-users] RE: V-Stream 2388x Compatibility

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 18:20:35 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:41:21 -0500, Kevin <kevinaj at gmail.com> wrote:
> myth >>>yet. I received this card as a Chritsmas Gift. It is based on the
> conxant cx88 chipset >>>And has only composite in (no tv tuner). This was a
> cheap $20 card so I have my >>>doubts. I am running KnoppMyth on a
> self-compiled 2.6.11kernel with v4l1and 2 >>>enabled. Any
> tips/suggestions/success stories would be appreciated.

> >>Have you tried manually modprobing the cx88-dvb driver? If so, did it
> >>fail or give any useful output? I'm sure I saw mention of V-stream in
> >>the source for the driver a while back.
> >>
> >>As you are manually compiling your kernel, I might suggest getting a
> >>recent v4l patch from here http://linux.bytesex.org/v4l2/cx88.html and
> >>see if it helps at all. I would hope that the driver realised there
> >>was no tuner and just gave access to the composite input.
> >>
> >>Hopefully another user may have better and more concrete advice for you!
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>Nick
> >
> >I have not tried mod probing yet but I have off school today (spring break)
> >so I will try your suggestions and get back shortly. Thanks for the
> >suggestions
> >
> >-Kevin-

Firstly, enjoy Spring Break - Par-tay! Secondly, on to the important stuff ...

When I compiled my 2.6.10-rc2 kernel, I needed to patch it with the
cx88 updates from http://linux.bytesex.org/v4l2/cx88.html, after
getting help from some kind list members.

Here is the gist of what I did:

i) Downloaded kernel source from kernel.org or mirror
ii) Downloaded the all in one patch from bytesex.org
(http://dl.bytesex.org/patches/) for the kernel you are going to
compile
iii) Unpacked the kernel source to /usr/src
iv) Patched the kernel source with the above bytesex kernel patch to
get the most current drivers and v4l stuff.
v) Configured the kernel, ensuring DVB and cx88dvb options are
selected (modules)
vi) Compiled and installed the kernel

Assuming everything compiled OK, we then need to install the latest
video4linux snapshop.

So:

i) Download a recent v4l build from here
http://dl.bytesex.org/cvs-snapshots/ and again unpack to /usr/src
ii) Build the v4l snapshot with the following:

make DVB=1
make install

This should get you a patched kernel with the latest v4l installed and
latest drivers, including the cx88-dvb driver, which you can then try
modprobing.

Finally, I just checked the source of one of the latest v4l snapshots.
Here's what I found:

        [CX88_BOARD_KWORLD_DVB_T] = {
                .name           = "KWorld/VStream XPert DVB-T",
		.tuner_type     = TUNER_ABSENT,
                .input          = {{
                        .type   = CX88_VMUX_COMPOSITE1,
                        .vmux   = 1,
			.gpio0  = 0x0700,
			.gpio2  = 0x0101,
                },{
                        .type   = CX88_VMUX_SVIDEO,
                        .vmux   = 2,
			.gpio0  = 0x0700,
			.gpio2  = 0x0101,
                }},
		.dvb            = 1,
	},

Essentially it appears support may be there - it mentions the VStream
(also sold around the world as KWorld) DVB cards that do not have
tuners, but do have comp/S-Vid inputs, so I would be hopeful at least
you may be in business.

HTH,
Nick