[mythtv-users] [Slightly-OT] Nova-T

Thu Mar 24 08:51:22 UTC 2005

On 23 Mar 2005, at 23:18, Dave Ansell wrote:

> Iain,
>
>      (1)  you need to get cx88_dvb to load instead of cx88_blackbird.
>      (2)  you need the correct device nodes, ie various directories
> under /dev/dvb/adapter0 not a single device /dev/dvb.
>
>      I found the following:
>
> To do (1)....
>   First check you have the correct module available to load by doing
> modprobe -r cx88_blackbird
> modprobe cx88_dvb
> lsmod
>
> You should now see cx88_dvb listed.   If you can't modprobe cx88_dvb
> you haven't compiled the correct patches / kernel options.
>
> To make this happen automatically at boot I had to manually comment
> out all references to cx88_blackbird in
>    /lib/modules/<your kernel dir>/modules.alias
> and  /lib/modules/<your kernel dir>/modules.pcimap
>
> It is something to do with the two modules having the same device
> code. Someone may have a cleaner solution but this does at least seem
> to work.

This did the job perfectly - now udev has picked it up properly for the
first time and it survived the reboot. I knew I was close and that it
was something to do with modules, but was not having any joy finding a
solution.

> To do (2)...
> You must update udev to version 050.
> From: download.fedora.redhat.com
> /pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/
>
> Download:  udev-050-1.i386.rpm

<snip>

Had done that already so just step (1) solved all my problems (well at
least the getting the card to appear problem, not there's a whole slew
of problems ahead of me :)

> HTH.   Let me know if you need furhter details on Kernel compile, etc.

Thanks very much!

..Iain