[mythtv-users] Sporadic "Unable to Initialize" Video error

Todd Vazquez toddvazquez at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 01:12:19 UTC 2005

Hello,

First post for me here...  Searching the archives has
helped me with all of my big problems except this one.

I've got Myth 0.17 working fairly well right now.
But, I have these sporadic "Unable to Initialize
Video" errors when I try to watch -some- recordings,
most recordings play flawlessly.  I'd say that 3/4 of
my recordings work flawlessly.  1/4 of them will give
me this error every time I try to play them with Myth.
 I can play these same videos fine in Xine.

With XvMC enabled, I get "Unable to Initialize Video"
with these recordings and then I have to restart the
frontend or I get that same error on all recordings.
Without XvMC, the frontend will crash, and I get:
'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  St9bad_alloc

I've tried both 0.17 and CVS from last Saturday and I
get the exact same error with the same recordings from
both.

Any ideas?  Here's my specs:

Myth 0.17
Fedora Core 3
Kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC3.stk16
Firewire, Alsa and XvMC compiled in
Athlon-XP 2700+
ASUS A7V8X mobo
1 gig ram
1 gig swap
Chaintech AV710 sound card
PNY nvidia FX 5700 VE 256mb graphics card AGP
15GB Western Digital Parallel ATA HDD for OS
120GB WD SATA HD for recordings and buffer
No tuner card, recording from onboard Firewire
connected to Motarola 6200

I've attached 2 log files taken from:
mythfrontend -v all > error.log 2>&1

One is taken with XvMC enabled, the other is without
XvMC.

Please let me know if any more information is
needed...

Thanks,
-Todd