[mythtv-users] Hang on boot

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 21:56:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:07:55 -0500, Greg Depasse <greg.depasse at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks, I'm wondering if anyone is using a Tyan K8W S2885
> motherboard with a PVR-250?  I searched Gossamer and the
> pvrhw.goldfish.org sites.  Both came up empty.  I can't get the card
> and mb working together.
>
> I've got the following:
> Tyan Thunder K8W S2885 (bios is up to date)
> Dual AMD64 Opteron 248
> Gigabyte FX5200
> Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250 - MODEL 980
> (I know it's overkill for myth, but I have plans to add other services
> to it - namely vmware)
>
> My first attempt at installing myth was with a simpler distro -
> KnoppMyth R5A10 - just to get things working.  The card was detected
> (according to a quick message during boot), and then I'm able to see a
> line that says:  "pcilib: Can't open sys/bus/pci/devices".  I've
> googled this and I'm not sure if it's related to my problem.  It seems
> that that message has to do with udev (which I'm not familiar with).
> A couple scrolling screens later during boot, the system hangs.
> Here's a link to the screenshot:
> http://photos5.flickr.com/7117745_bdffe0c44b_o.jpg
>
> If I remove the PVR-250 boot continues, but that destroys the whole
> idea.  I would have tried a different PCI slot (everything else is
> unused), but the PVR-250 can't fit in any of the other slots (the
> slots are keyed differently).
>
> I'd appreciate any insight that folks have, especially if anyone got a
> similar configuration running.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Any chance of trying the card in a) another system (non-64bit) and b)
using a non-udev based distro - perhaps FC2 to make syre the card is
fully functional.

The lock-up could be a serious IRQ problem causing a hard-lock during
boot - can you see whether any other devices are sharing the same IRQ
as the PVR card after the BIOS has posted. Sometimes, conflicts with
graphics cards getting the same IRQ can cause system instability such
as this (I've seen similar things under Wintel - removing the
'problem' card lets a system boot normally, replacing the card gives
the hang)

HTH a little,
Nick