[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WINTV-PVR-500MCE

Jim Kusznir jim at kusznir.net
Wed Mar 23 06:39:33 UTC 2005

Brad Benson wrote:

>>>I'll be able to test this in a few weeks when my new 500 gets here. :)
>>>

>>I'll try to beat you to it. My PVR-250 is sitting on my desk right now,
>>completely unused at the moment, along with a pair of M179s...
>>

>Jarod, any luck (or even time to try) running the 250 alongside the
>500?  I'm still waiting for my 500 to ship so I'm not able to do any
>testing yet.  Also, as an aside, I downloaded the latest ivtv-0.3
>driver and am not able to compile it on my system running FC1 on
>2.4.22-1.2199.nptl_52.rhfc1.at kernel from atrpms.  I know I need to
>pose this question on the ivtv list, but I thought someone might know
>offhand why that driver wouldn't compile.  I'm betting there's
>something (module, patch, etc) that's not included in that kernel that
>I need.

I've got a 500 and a 250 in the same machine running ivtv 0.3.2j.  I'm
having some tuner issues, but I don't think its related to the 250/500
mix.  I have sucessfully gotten s-video/composite working from both the
250 and the 500.  The driver auto-detects them fine.

One little trick I learned:  If something doesn't work right with a
driver load, simply unloading and reloading the drivers doesn't work.
In fact, just rebooting the box won't work either.  You need to do a
full power down (to completey reset the PVR cards), otherwise the
drivers continue to mis-detect the card and/or fail to initialize it.

This comes from spending hours and many reboots trying to get something
to work, but failing and going to bed.  The first person up in the
moring discovered the myth system not working, killed power to the box,
booted it back up, and things worked again.

--Jim