[mythtv-users] Myth Very Good at Killing Linux

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 05:51:32 UTC 2005

Unless you're running Myth as root, it doesn't have the power or
abilities to lockup Linux. Linux is very protective about processes
and their effects on the system that globally can't easily crash the
whole system/kernel. It's probably the driver and/or card you added,
or the increased irq/dma traffic as a result of the new hardware.
Something at a hardware/driver level is causing the problem... could
be ivtv, as alot of people report ivtv lockups, and I too had problems
using ivtv and pvr-350 tvout on old hardware, but I see you are not
doing any of that.

I'd start by removing the new driver and card, and see if you regain
the stability.

Just don't blame userland software for system problems ;)

-Kenneth