[mythtv-users] Australian newbie setup

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 03:15:26 UTC 2005

If you use DVB cards, they just write the MPEG2 stream to disc.  I
have two in my machine (Sempron 2400), and both cards recording take
at most about 8% CPU.  You should be fine with your backend, so long
as you don't mind waiting for commercial detection or transcoding.

I think the XBox should play SD content, but I would also like
confirmation of this.

Cheers,
Dave

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:02:28 +1100, Marten <marten.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been lurking around reading this list for some time now. The
> Myth TV bug has bitten now and I would like to build a machine on a
> budget.
>
> I live in Melbourne and should receive the free to air DVB channels in
> my area. My plan is to not upgrade my existing TV so I am not
> interested in meeting HDTV specs. My aim is to use 2 of the DVB cards
> to receive the SD digital channels and play them via RF TV out.
>
> I do have an old box collecting dust that may cut it as a backend
>
> Plan A
> Use my old box, P3-600 with 600meg ram as a backend and build a front
> end with an Xbox ?
>
> Will an xbox handle SD live / recorded video ?
> Will a P3-600 be able to keep up recording / serving SD content ?
>
> Plan B
> I purchase a new PC to setup a front and backend in one box. What spec
> would be the minimum to handle Australian SD channels?
>
> Currently I plan to install with Gentoo

GMAIL is 'da bomb baby....YEAH

I have GMail invites, if you want one, email me direct.