[mythtv-users] Backend Crashes / Status Monitoring

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Tue Mar 22 19:40:20 UTC 2005

Dave Ansell wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I get occasional backend crashes - usually seems to be some qt/sql
> problem.  Very difficult to eliminate entirely.
>
>   Usually, the whole machine doesn't crash, just the backend and/or mysql.
>
>    Question is,  would it be feasible to run a cron script to monitor
> the backend status, either on the same box or from some other linux box,
> then reboot the machine or restart services if a problem is detected.

I'm sure there are *much* more elegant ways of accomplishing this, but I
run this simple cron script.  I call it "mythmon.sh".  If mythbackend
isn't running, it'll email my cell phone.    You could set it up to
automatically restart the process or reboot the PC or whatever you want.

#!/bin/bash

pidno=$( ps ax | grep mythbackend | grep -v grep | grep -v mythmon)
# echo $pidno
# Checks for pid in "ps" listing, field #1.
# Then makes sure it is the actual process, not the process invoked by
this script.
# The last "grep $1" filters out this possibility.
if [ -z "$pidno" ]  # If, after all the filtering, the result is a
zero-length string,
then                # no running process corresponds to the pid given.
   echo "No such process running."
   mail <mynumber>@mobile.att.net -s Uh-oh < /tmp/crap
   exit $E_NOSUCHPROCESS
fi