[mythtv-users] RE: Nuvexport dvb-recordings to DVD, problem with aspect ratio

gary dawes garydawes at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 21 22:30:28 UTC 2005

Sami Röppänen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as I previously wrote:
>
> >Note that this is purely Nuvexport problem, the shows that are not
> yet exported play fine and with >correct aspect ratio in mplayer or in
> windows, with nero mediaplayer. And it's not a problem with my
> >DVD-authoring tool either, infact QDVDAuthor complains about an
> unknown aspect ratio.
>
> I have managed to get the exported shows to play with correct (4/3)
> aspect ratio when I SELECT it from eg. mplayers menu. It seems the
> exported mpeg2 files have no header or something that tells which
> aspect ratio they ought to be??? Is there an option or configuration
> tool for nuvexport to select which aspect ratio you want for your
> show? Or is there something wrong with my recording profile, pls help!
>
> I might add that I'm using the latest FFmpeg (namely 2005/03/18),
> might this be a bug in the release? Somebody tell me a success story
> and the versions they use.
>

> <DVD>

>     width        = 720   # Height adjusts automatically to width,
> according to aspect ratio
>     height       = auto
>
> </DVD>

I had a similar problem, where I record in 16:9, but nuvexport and
ffmpeg was transcoding everything to 4:3. I resolved it by hacking the
code in /share/nuvexport/exports/ffmpg/dvd.pm. change the lines from 138
onwards.

Google for the ffmpeg command line options, and you will be able to
force the aspect ratio etc.

Unfortunately I updated my copy of Nuv just the other day, and have just
realised that I did not have the modified code before hand, or I'd post
the change. It wuould be fairly strightforward to dump a question about
aspect ratio in the code.

Regards

Gary