[mythtv-users] Lite-On IR Keyboard and Learning Remotes

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Mon Mar 21 16:20:19 UTC 2005

Sent this to Paul directly because he cc'd me and it went in both folders.

PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
>> Really?  Do you hold the key down a long (>1 sec) time, or
>> does it matter?  Are you doing this in the dark on a dark
>> surface, or light surface in ambient light?  This is awesome
>> news, as I've tried a lot of combinations and never gotten
>> the basic naviation (arrow down, left, up, right, enter, etc.)
>> to work.  Not to mention my macros.  Now that I hear it can
>> be done, I'd love to hear the conditions under which you got
>> it working.

I'm hoping I'm using the same keyboard as you are... LiteOn AirBoard
like this:
http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/keyboard/sk7100.asp ?  My
receiver looks a little different than that, but the keyboard is the same.

I will generally put the keyboard and remote on the coffee table, which
is dark-ish wood, about 3-6 inches apart, IR windows facing each other
(of course).  Go into learning mode on the MX-500, then press and
release the key as if I were typing it, not holding it down at all.  The
MX-500 may think a bit before flashing "GOOD".  Arrow keys, numbers,
spacebar, pgup/pgdown, and various letters (M, I, W, A at least) work
fine.  Like I said, Enter gives me problems.

-Doug