[mythtv-users] Digital TV tuners and recording sound

Justin Hornsby justin.hornsby2 at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 21 09:26:48 UTC 2005

Phill Edwards wrote:
> Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do digital TV tuners need to be
> plugged into sound card inputs in order to record the sound (like
> analogue bt8x8 cards)? Or do they just write the sound to disk as part
> of the MPEG2 stream?
>
> Regards,
> Phill

Hi Phil.

If you're talking about DVB tuners then yes, the sound is part of the
MPEG stream and therefore does not need to be connected to a soundcard.
  As far as I know there isn't a single digital TV tuner card which
requires a connection to a soundcard for digital TV reception.

This only applies to digital TV - if you want to record analogue video,
say from a set top box or vcr, then you'll need to use the svideo or
composite connections and plug an audio source into your soundcard.

Regards,
Justin.