[mythtv-users] DVB card for Australia (melbourne)

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sun Mar 20 09:35:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 01:11:20PM +1000, David Whyte wrote:
> I use 2 Avermedia 771's in my box with no problems.  I can't tune SBS,
> but I don't get SBS anywhere in the house even on conventional TV's.
[..]
> I am thinking of getting a third avermedia in the near future.

The third will probably be enough to break your whole setup.

I've said this a few times on this list already. The BT878 as used in
the Avermedia cards, FusionHDTV Lite, VisionPlus and some others has a
very small buffer which can't tolerate much delay on the PCI bus. Each
other active device on your PCI bus increases the risk of buffer
overflows.

The solution is to get a card based on any other chipset.
The cx23883 cards work great for me; they are the FusionHDTV Plus, or
the KWorld VStream Xpert, or the latest Nova-T. Earlier Nova-Ts and the
DPANDA.com.au card have an SAA7146, which also works great.

The KWorld card is $132 shipped from auspcmarket.com.au which is cheaper
than you can buy the Avermedia for anyway.

Hamish