[mythtv-users] 0.17 backend issue - playback erratic

Troy Roberts troy at pdaverticals.com
Sat Mar 19 18:57:01 UTC 2005

I have been having problems with playback of recorded shows since
upgrading to 0.17.  The video will freeze for a second or 2 repeatedly
for a few minutes.

The setup:

Backend with 3x PVR250
P4 2.8Ghz, 1GB Ram
2x SATA Seagate Barracuda 300GB disk
The ringbuffer, music, videos, database, are all on one drive, recorded
TV is on the other
No frontend on the backend server
The backend is connected to gigabit ethernet switch

2x frontends - no capture on the frontends
frontends are connected via 100Mb FDX
P4 2.x Ghz with 512MB RAM
nvidia FX5200 video cards

All systems are running debian unstable with 2.6.9 kernels

 From what I can tell so far the problem appears to be some sort of
blocking problem on the backend - I have noticed that sometimes when
this occurs mythcommflag is running on the backend, but can't say that
it is for sure all the time.  The recordings themselves are fine, as I
can stop the playback, and return to it sometime later, and all is fine.

I am inclined to think this is not a frontend issue, because I can
playback the shows later with no issues.  I have looked through all of
the relevant logs, and the only thing I see that arouses suspicion is
the backend log has a number of IOBOUND messages in it from time to time.

The IOBOUND error seems odd to me for a few reasons:

1) the hardware part of this setup has not changed since 0.16 and I
*never* had this problem with 0.16 - I am not recording any more or less
streams now then I was on 0.16 - once I upgraded to 0.17 this started to
show up right away

2) I can't imagine that there is nearly enough data moving around to
saturate the SATA bus

3) I see no other evidence of io issues from any other logs, subsystems,
etc on the system

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Troy