[mythtv-users] Re: Adding 'Load "v4l"' to my xorg.conf file causes the xserver not to start on reboot

thunderducks thunderducks at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 15:16:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:05:47 -0500, thunderducks <thunderducks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoping someone can kick a newb in the right direction - I'm at my wits
> end here!  I'm doing a fresh install following Jarod's guide (with the
> exception of loading the nvidia 7167 drivers) - anyway, I have the FC3
> loaded and updated and have gone through the process of installing the
> latest NVidia drivers - everything looks great until I add the line:
> load "v4l" to my xorg.conf file. With that line in there, when I
> restart the xserver it hangs and eventually comes back saying it can't
> start the x server.  Log files aren't indicating anything wrong.  When
> I comment ou the load "v4l" line, everything loads beautifully.
> So as I said, I'm not really sure what I'm doing, but I have a funny
> feeling that if I don't get it to load the video 4 linux, I'm going to
> regret it later.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> TIA
>
> Kent

I figured this out finally - I had to do an apt-get to install the v4l
packages.  Duh.  I don't remember doing that on a previous successful
install, so I'm curious if the loading of that package is buried in
Axel's NVidia driver package (which I didn't download because I
installed directly from NVidia).   At any rate, problem solved.