[mythtv-users] [ G400 ] Hotwo enable flicker filters

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Mar 19 13:28:54 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Peter van Gils wrote:

> Hi Bernd,
>
> Just a tip: you can save some money next time you need such
> a cable. I use Cat5 UTP for a 13m VGA cable and it works
> great! (Running 1024x600 @ 60Hz on a 32" LCD.)
> You have to keep signal and ground together in one
> twisted pair and add 22 ohm resistors in series with
> the signal wires at the TV end. (The resistors are
> needed to prevent ghost images.) The shell is left unconnected.
>
> My $0.02.

 	What you are describing can be done, has been done, and there
exist commercial products for doing so:
http://www.svideo.com/coaxbalun.html
... and many others.

 	There are some issues there, though.  The one you propose fixing
is the impedance one... video signals typically are run on 75 Ohm cable,
the and nominal impedance of Cat5 is 100 Ohms.  It's also \pm 15 Ohms, I
believe, so that's not so good.

 	There's also the balanced/unbalanced issue.  Coax is unbalanced
but shielded.  Cat5 is balanced (differential), but unshielded.  If you
put the unbalanced signal on it directly, you don't get the benefit of
differential signalling and it radiates a lot of power.  This guy says it
better:
http://hardware.mcse.ms/message159780-2.html

 	There's also the attenuation.  The high frequencies of baseband
video (6MHz) will be attenuated 5dB or so over a 100 ft runk, but the low
frequencies not as much.  It will soften the image, and possibly even
cause other high frequency (read: chroma) artifacts.
http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/it/staff/Network%20Documentation/standards.html

 	That said, what you propose will probably work OK for short runs,
but coax is definately better.

-Cory