[mythtv-users] Re: OT: Reply-To munging / mailing list configuration

Justin Gombos mindfuq at fairfieldi.com
Sat Mar 19 03:53:43 UTC 2005

* Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> [2005-03-18 22:14]:

> My own taste is that high-traffic lists should normally send replies
> just to the author being replied to, you should have to explicitly
> do a group reply to get the message to the whole group!

I can see where you're coming from and why there would be a temptation
to encourage off-list traffic, but I think when it comes down to it
the will of the sender is not going to be influenced by convenience.

Reply-To munging exists not to encourage list traffic, but because so
many folks have lame MUAs (like Outlook) that don't have a "list
reply" function, and don't know what the Mail-Followup-To field is
used for.  So munging the Reply-To field deliberately malforms a
message in the interest of supporting these crude primitive MUAs used
by the masses, to save those users from the effort of having to do a
group reply then erase the personal address.

Reply-To munging something that is more commonplace on your lists with
newbies and Windows users.  I made the suggestion because I got the
feeling that more of the users present here are advanced, and unix
saavy, and are probably equipped with better MUAs (like mutt).