[mythtv-users] Where is Jarod's guide to automatic shutdown and restart?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Mar 18 23:06:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 10:26:46PM -0900, John Andersen wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 March 2005 21:43, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 14 March 2005 04:21, Phill Edwards wrote:
> > > I went looking for this as nvram-wakeup's not working for me any more
> > > for some reason, and I remembered that Jarod uses wake-on-lan from
> > > another machine.
> >
> > I think you may have me confused with someone else, I've never used WOL.
> > All my boxes are just on 24x7.
>
> Often wondered about why people are so concerned about WOL
> for a myth box.  Where is Electricity so expensive that leaving it
> on 24/7 is a problem?

100 watts in California 24/7  == approximately $120 per year.

So for many PCs, your electricity bill to run them would be more than,
for example, Tivo monthly service fee.   Stand aone boxes (like the Tivo)
tend to run a lot less power than dedicated PCs, especially ones with
fast processors.

Yes, the power to run a PC 24/7 for a year is now more expensive than
almost all its main components in typical setups -- motherboard, processor,
512m ram, most hard disks, most cards -- only the display is routinely more
expensive.