[mythtv-users] Air2PC troubles, including B&W WinTV-FM

Tom E. Craddock Jr. sigtom at sigtom.com
Fri Mar 18 21:58:02 UTC 2005

Lane Schwartz wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:13:54 -0500, Tom E. Craddock Jr.
><sigtom at sigtom.com> wrote:
>

>>Lane Schwartz wrote:
>>I'm loathe to compile the kernel myself on my production box, as I
>>fear trying to get ivtv (my main card is a PVR-250) working again on a
>>non-atrpm kernel.
>>

>>I can answer about this.  Dont worry, itll work.  I did so, recompiled
>>my own kernel, and am using a air2pc card (modprobe skystar2 is what I
>>use) and a pvr-250, using ivtv compiled from source, running mythtv from
>>CVS a couple days after the .17 release.
>>

>Well, I'm glad to hear that it's possible. Couple of questions:
>
>What distro are you using?
>
>If you're using atrpms, did you have to uninstall the ivtv rpms prior
>to doing this, or can the ivtv rpms and the newly compiled ivtv
>coexist peacefully (obviously not using them both at the same time)?
>
>Thanks,
>Lane

Lane,

Im running FC2.  I dont have the ivtv driver RPMs installed, so I cant
say for sure about them living ok together, but I dont think its a
problem, as if you recompile the kernel the new ivtv drivers you would
compile from source as well would be for the new kernel, and any
ivtv-RPMs youve installed for other kernels wont impact it. Just so you
know, if you recompile the kernel, youll have to compile/install any
kernel modules you need to work with the recompiled kernel (think ivtv,
alsa, anything youve installed from RPM with kmdl in the RPM name).

Now, you can recompile the kernel and STILL use atrpms.net and the RPMs
for kernel modules there instead of having to recompile and kernel
modules from source, I havent dont that myself but Im pretty sure I
recently saw discussion of this on the atrpms.net mailing list, so check
that out for info.

Tom