[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA-M

Ivor Hewitt ivor at ivor.org
Fri Mar 18 19:42:30 UTC 2005

On Friday 18 Mar 2005 18:28, Örn Einar Hansen wrote:
> Şann Fimmtudagur 17 mars 2005 11:27 skrifaği Matthew Phillips:
> > I have an EPIA M10000N system with the same IO chipset and have seen
> > that DMA thread before when investigating why my system was
> > periodically locking up. In my case it actually turned out to be the
> > 2.6.9 kernel's support of Longhaul CPU speed control - upgrading to
> > 2.6.10, which has this turned off by default, has left me with a system
> > that runs for weeks without fault.
> >
> > I didn't find any reliable way to trigger the lockups though, so if it
> > freezes every time you try live tv, then this is likely another
> > problem.
>
>   Well, I'm able to see live TV with xawtv ... which brings me to believe
> that it can be done.  However, to see it with xawtv I have to turn off
> Xvideo support ... weird.

No no no. you are able to see it with xawtv because xawtv is simply rendering
the raw video image that's being generated from your capture card onto the
screen.

Mythtv operates by encoding and then decoding the video stream to provide you
with live tv pausing.

This is why you can watch TV with xawtv and not with mythtv.

>   I'm currently using SuSE 9.2 ... and am toying with the idea of
> "completely" enrolling a "local" gentoo distribution.
>
> > Matthew.

Ivor
http://www.ivor.it