[mythtv-users] [ G400 ] Hotwo enable flicker filters

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri Mar 18 12:15:45 UTC 2005

> This defines an interlaced 768x576 mode with 14.76 MHz pixelclock at 50Hz. As
> far as i know, exactly what PAL is defined at. But: If i use this mode i will
> get an skewed image. It's displayed two times (at lower and upper half of
> tv).
 	I have noticed that a large number of video drivers have bugs when
it comes to displaying interlaced output.  I once tried to use an ATI card
to generate interlaced output on the framebuffer (so I could see the
bootup screen).  I ran into limitations of the framebuffer driver on that
card (although I can't remember specifically what it was).  I'd bet that's
what you're running into... it seems like it should go.

 	One thing you *might* want to try is different combinations of
low|high for hsync/vsync/csync.  It sounds like the framebuffer memory
is being written correctly, but the field-sync isn't being generated.

> Yes i know. But what i've in mind is to enable flicker filtering for the
> MythTV GUI and disable it for video display.

 	I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do with multiple heads,
etc.  It sounds overly complicated.

> I think the fonts do not make so big problems like the single lined borders
> of the mythvideo or mythmusic gui. A simple workaround is to use very big
> fonts. So there aren't so many single horizontal lines. Maybe there is a
> workaround for the GUI too. Any suggestions?

 	100dpi fonts.  I think MythTV uses the newer vector fonts
(TrueType), but I'm not sure.  I don't know if those have a notion of
optimal display on interlaced screens.

 	I don't understand exactly why you're using the framebuffer at
all.  Unless you *really* want to see the console during bootup, can you
just wait for X to fire up with the correct timings?  You will have
unaccelerated video playing if done via a framebuffer, whereas with X (no
framebuffer) you have the potential of using Xv or XvMC.

-Cory