[mythtv-users] Re: Simple video tests are failing -- what other tests are helpful?

Justin Gombos mindfuq at fairfieldi.com
Thu Mar 17 20:52:56 UTC 2005

* Joseph Caputo <jcaputo1 at comcast.net> [2005-03-17 14:38]:

> Try specifying a channel, as in "mplayer tv://3"

That doesn't change things.  The following commands all cause a green
box to be displayed:

  mplayer tv://
  mplayer tv://3
  mplayer tv://3 driver=v4l2
  mplayer tv:// driver=v4l2
  mplayer tv:// driver=v4l

> Hmmm, interesting.  MPlayer is only detecting one input: Composite1.
> It doesn't appear to be detecting the tuner.

I don't believe this card has a tuner.  It only has two physical
ports, an RCA and an S-Video, both of which are inputs.  And it seems
they are considered the same port internally.

Is it your understanding of tuners that they demultiplex one signal
from many coming in on a coaxial line?  Since this card just has an
RCA/S-Video input, I believe it inherently requires an external tuner
to ensure that there is only one signal on the line.  If I'm right,
then there is no tuner at all.  My cable box has an RCA out, so I
guess there is no need for a tuner in the PVR.

> So, your current input is Composite1.  I'll be if you had some input
> going into the composite connector on your TV card, you'd see some
> video.  You want the input to be TunerX (probably "Tuner0"), but
> MPlayer isn't auto-detecting it.  You could try passing the "-input"
> option to MPlayer, as: "mplayer tv://[channel] -tv
> device=/dev/video0:input=X", where "X" is a number (typically 0 - 4
> or so).  Right now it's defaulting to "0", try 1,2,3 & 4.

All those input numbers give the same results: a green box, and the
following output:

  MPlayer 1.0pre5-3.3.4 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team

  CPU: Intel Celeron Covington/Pentium II Deschutes,Tonga/Pentium II Xeon 398.7 MHz (Family: 6, Stepping: 1)
  Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
  Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
  To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.
  Reading config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf: No such file or directory
  Reading config file /root/.mplayer/config
  Reading /root/.mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/root/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
  Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
  Using built-in default codecs.conf.
  font: can't open file: /root/.mplayer/font/font.desc
  font: can't open file: /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
  Using Linux hardware RTC timing (1024Hz).
  Can't open input config file /root/.mplayer/input.conf: No such file or directory
  Can't open input config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/input.conf: No such file or directory
  Falling back on default (hardcoded) input config
  Setting up LIRC support...
  mplayer: could not connect to socket
  mplayer: Connection refused
  Failed to open LIRC support.
  You will not be able to use your remote control.

  Playing tv://3.
  TV detected! ;-)
  Selected driver: dummy
   name: NULL-TV
   author: alex
  Selected input hasn't got a tuner!
  vo: X11 running at 1600x1200 with depth 24 and 32 bpp ("192.168.2.16:0.0" => remote display)
  It seems there is no Xvideo support for your video card available.
  Run 'xvinfo' to verify its Xv support and read DOCS/HTML/en/devices.html#xv!
  See 'mplayer -vo help' for other (non-xv) video out drivers. Try -vo x11
  Opening video decoder: [raw] RAW Uncompressed Video
  VDec: vo config request - 320 x 200 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
  VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
  Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
  VO: [x11] 320x200 => 320x200 Planar YV12
  Shared memory not supported
  Reverting to normal Xlib
  SwScaler: using unscaled Planar YV12 -> BGR 32-bit special converter
  Selected video codec: [rawyv12] vfm:raw (RAW YV12)
  Audio: no sound
  Starting playback...
  New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.
  Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).
  subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.

I wonder what it means by not being able to connect to a socket.  I
noticed the same error in my mythtvbackend.log file.

> You'll definitely want to address this eventually; for now you could try
> "-vo sdl", "-vo gl" or "-vo gl2".  Use "-vo x11" as a last resort.

Those options result in a green box as well.