[mythtv-users] Re: Simple video tests are failing -- what other tests are helpful?

Justin Gombos mindfuq at fairfieldi.com
Thu Mar 17 19:45:27 UTC 2005

* MagicITX <magicitx at gmail.com> [2005-03-17 13:56]:

> I believe saa7130 is the decoder.

The Philips saa7130 is the chip on the capture card, and I don't
believe it's a decoder or encoder.  It's simply an A/D converter as
far as I know.  It's on an AverMedia DVD EZMaker card, which is simply
a frame grabber.  My video card is an el cheapo on-board card, so
there is no decoder there either.

> What is your encoder (e.g. ivtv)?

Maybe.  Certainly there is no hardware encoder, and I know ivtv is in
/etc/modules, so I'm running it.  Is ivtv an encoder?

> That is what will be associated with /dev/video0.

Whatever is associated with /dev/video0, it's broken; but if I'm
understanding Joseph correctly, it's not practical to get a raw video
stream going through /dev/video0 anyway.  And binding a software
encoder to /dev/video0 is probably equally impractical.