[mythtv-users] capturing VCR input

jonr jonr at destar.net
Wed Mar 16 23:29:56 UTC 2005

Ricardo Kleemann wrote:
> Hi David,
>

>>>If I hooked up a VCR to save some tapes to disk (or even burn DVDs), how
>>>would I control that from mythtv?
>>>

>>There isn't an easy one-button way of doing this.  Sometimes it is just
>>easier to press play on the VCR and type 'cat /dev/video > video.mpg'.
>>What I did once was setup an input source on one of my capture cards
>>called vcr and setup a dummy source for it.
>>

> Is it possible to setup the VCR as a separate input source, and record from
> there? IOW perform a manual record off mythtv, and simply pressing play on
> the VCR?
>
> Ricardo

Ricardo,

Set your VCR up so that you can hit "Play" on the VCR and watch it
through "Live TV" in myth. Then all you have to do is set up a "Manual
Record" and hit "Play" on the VCR. All you really have to know is the
running time of the tape being recorded. I have done this for quite a
few old VHS tapes.

Hope that helps,

Jon