[mythtv-users] Re: Live TV viewing blocked by non-existent recordings

Justin Gombos mindfuq at fairfieldi.com
Wed Mar 16 22:02:32 UTC 2005

* Mark Matula <mmatula at ratula.net> [2005-03-16 16:37]:

> The error isn't telling you anout mysql, it's telling you about the
> conenction (or lack thereof) to the myth backend server.  So what
> you should do, instead, is "/etc/init.d/mythbackend start."  But
> something tells me it doesn't like one of your settings and isn't
> starting.  You can check for it with 'ps ax |grep backend'.  Also,
> check the backend log in /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log or wherever
> yours happens to be.  It might be grousing about something.

Ah, yes, the issue seems to be with this mythbackend tool, which I was
not real concious about until now.  It seems KnoppMyth may have tried
to run it, and failed.  When I run it, here are the results:

  sh-3.00$ /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
  Starting MythTV server: mythbackendstart-stop-daemon:
    Unable to set initgroups() with gid 105

If I run it without using the init.d script, I get a little more information:

  sh-3.00$ mythbackend
  Starting up as the master server.
  Error getting inputs for the capturecard.  Perhaps you have
  forgotten to bind video sources to your card's inputs?
  2005-03-17 00:49:36.471 Channel(/dev/video0): CheckChannel failed. Please verify channel "3" in the "setup" Channel Editor.
   is defined, but isn't attached to a cardinput.
  blah is defined, but isn't attached to a cardinput.
  2005-03-17 00:49:36.521 mythbackend version: 0.17.20050130-1 www.mythtv.org
  2005-03-17 00:49:36.522 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
  2005-03-17 00:49:38.519 Reschedule requested for id -1.
  2005-03-17 00:49:38.601 Scheduled 0 items in 0.1 = 0.03 match + 0.04 place
  2005-03-17 00:49:38.609 Seem to be woken up by USER

I guessed on how to set this stuff up, so something could be wrong.  I
stuck with default values for most of it.  The channel I set up was
just a placeholder, because mythbackend complained that I did not have
a channel.  I don't see why I need one, because this is not a coaxial
input containing multiple tunable channels, but rather just an RCA
port.  Anyway, I set up a channel, and I've set it to channel 3, yet
the errors above persist.

What is meant by: Perhaps you have forgotten to bind video sources to
your card's inputs?