[mythtv-users] MythVideo database resetting itself after adding second frontend

Peter Loron peterl at standingwave.org
Tue Mar 15 21:45:16 UTC 2005

Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> I've been wrestling a similar problem with a new frontend as well.
> Everything works fine after I mounted the backends media directory into
> the same place on the frontend as it is on the backend.  Here's the
> issue, the backend is usually off, it uses nvram to wake-up record then
> goes back off.  If I turn on the frontend it uses wake-on lan to wake
> the backend, that works 80% of the time.  Problems is that the
> directory that's mapped that contains all the media (videos, music,
> games, etc) doesn't get mapped during the frontend bootup, because the
> backend has not completely started yet.  So I'll either have to ssh in
> and mount it manually, or restart the frontend.  Any suggestions on how
> to have the mount command executed after the backend is known to be
> fully operational (frontend connected to backend), or try to mount in
> some interval until it does get mounted?  The backend only takes about
> 30 seconds to get up.  I was planning to write a script of some sort,
> just hadn't gotten around to it yet.  Hopefully someone has had a
> similar issue and has found a solution.
>

> Thanks.
>
> Calvin

I've been wanting to have my backend shutdown when not
recording/transcoding, but have been trying to figure out a resolution
to exactly that problem. I was hoping there's some kind of "mount
volume" command or even a "run arbitrary script" option, but haven't
found one.

About the only idea I've come up with is to write a script that starts
up the backend, mounts the library, then starts the frontend. Haven't
tried writing it yet. Alternatively, I could move the library to a 3rd
box that is always running and just leave the mount up, but I don't have
the spare hardware, and I'd rather not waste the juice.

Anybody else got a silver bullet for this one?

-Pete