[mythtv-users] OT - Linux utility to merge wmv files ? (SOLVED)

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 15 19:59:11 UTC 2005

Just thinking out loud (you may be doing this already,) but you could use
named pipes to avoid the temporary use of all that disk space. i.e.

sources=""
for each file in arguments
	mkfifo file.pipe
	mencoder file -oac pcm -ovc raw -o file.pipe &
	sources = sources + file.pipe + ' '

avimerge -o concated -i sources

Please excuse the pseudocode, but I'm not writing the thing!
As long as subsequent mencoder's don't timeout waiting for the avimerge to
empty the buffer this should work. It should also be faster as you aren't
writing and reading 1.5G to disk

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 14:43, Jason Donahue wrote:
> Not really, since wmv is a compressed "lossy" format anyway.
>
> Converting to raw avi is just a way to get it to a workable format. This
> format took a 32M file and turned it into 1.5G - definitely not a
> "usable" size. after recompressing to xvid I noticed no difference in
> quality from the original wmv files.
>
> On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 06:37 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 02:15 -0500, Jason Donahue wrote:
> > > For anyone who is interested, here is how I merged a bunch of wmv files
> > > into one movie:
> > >
> > > First use mencoder to convert files to raw avi:
> > >
> > > mencoder clip1.wmv -oac pcm -ovc raw -o tmp1.avi
> > > mencoder clip2.wmv -oac pcm -ovc raw -o tmp2.avi
> > >
> > > Then use avimerge to combine all the files:
> > >
> > > avimerge -o "bigfile.avi" -i tmp1.avi tmp2.avi ... ...
> > >
> > > Finally, use mencoder again to shrink the file down (I chose xvid):
> >
> > Wouldn't you lose some quality this way?
> >
> > > mencoder bigfile.avi -o final.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
> > > bitrate=16000
> > >
> > > Hope this helps some other poor souls...

Steve Boddy