[mythtv-users] Mythtv laundry list

Bill Seisler billseisler at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 16:28:29 UTC 2005

First of all, my respect goes out to all of those working on this
project. I have evaluated most of the available htpc front-ends in
windows and found that each one was missing something crucial and was
not useable in the immediate time-frame. I have currently convinced my
wife that the great beige box in the livingroom is a good thing. This
has been mainly due to the success I have had with Myth.

All that said, I have a continually develping "laundry list" of
improvements I need to add to my myth setup. But first, my current
setup:

PIII 833
512 MB RAM
Hauppauge 250 (bought in 05 with the new tuner chip which caused a
major headache)
60 GB HDD
Sound Blaster Live Value
nVidia 5200 FX graphics card
FC3 with Myth .17 (Jarod's guide has been awesome)

1) New 5.1+ Sound Card with TOSLink out. I want to avoid the $100+
Sound Blaster's if I can. Someone mentioned the AOpen Cobra AW850D.
However the ALSA web page does not list it as supported, and I have
not found sub-$100 card that suits my needs. This must also support
AC3 for DVD playback.
2) Video playback Tearing - Some of my video seems to have a slight
tearing artifact. However there seem to be no accompanying audio
artifacts. I am not quite sure where the OpenGL switches or nVidia
switches exist to enable de-interlacing.

Your help is greatly appreciated,
Bill