Practicality of backing up huge hard drives (was Re: [mythtv-users] Dieing Hard Drive)

Eric Womack eric at sourcemage.com
Tue Mar 15 16:07:34 UTC 2005

> That is very interesting.  Does that mean I could have a key pair
> without a passphrase?  The account on the public server could have no
> shell access?  A connection would automatically execute a command
> without a shell? Do you have an example of how a remote rsync or other
> type of backup would use this feature?

Sure,

Select the user account that you want and do a:

chsh -s /PATH/TO/COMMAND USER

Where "/PATH/TO/COMMAND" is the program you want executed and "USER" is the
user account.  I use this to set users to only be able to open a mail
program, or on a dedicated system (account software or some such) where only
one thing is ever needed.

I wouldn't use this for rsync.  For that, I would use a cron job and rsync
over ssh to backup things.

--
Eric Womack
Grimoire Guru - KDE

---
pub  1024D/1B5C6D58 2003-02-14 Eric Womack (http://www.sourcemage.org)
<eric at sourcemage.com>
Key fingerprint = 2838 866A E5F9 1719 05CC  8BF3 99AE 101B 1B5C 6D58
sub  1024g/2C8B97C3 2003-02-14
Public Key: http://www.sourcemage.com/Eric.pgp
---
A good soldier is not violent.
A good fighter is not angry.
A good winner is not vengeful
A good employer is humble.
This is known as the Virtue of not striving.
This is known as ability to deal with people.
This since ancient times has been known as the ultimate unity with heaven.