Practicality of backing up huge hard drives (was Re: [mythtv-users] Dieing Hard Drive)

jerome lacoste jerome.lacoste at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 15:02:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 06:32:58 -0600, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson at cox.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 20:48 -0800, Rich Hall wrote:
> > Hi Nathan,
> >
> > Nathan Ford reportedly babbled:
> [snip]
> >
> > Sigh... I fell down and I can't get up... Or.. How many times do
> > people need to hear the line: "If it really is important.. back
> > it up".
>
> You got any good ideas on how to back up, for example, a 2/3 full
> 250GB HDD?

Having sufured several hard disk failures in the past few years, my
setup is the following:

- have a separate hard disk with enough capacity to hold your data
- put that disk either in another machine, either in a firewire/USB2
drive enclosure
- rsync

Right now my desktop and my laptop are synchronized that way. I can
even synchronize throught the network with ssh configured correctly.

It's simple. It's flexible. And it works.

Jerome