[mythtv-users] Mythmusic: 24bit audio playback

Craig Partin cpartin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 13:57:59 UTC 2005

Last night I attempted to play a 24bit/48KHz flac file.  Mythmusic
hung on please wait and spit this message out in the logs

AudioOutput only supports 8 or 16bit audio.

I also tried mplayer, which recognized the 24 bit file but seemed to
try to play it as 16bit/44.1KHz.  The log was full of flac decoder
messages and then it just stopped and exited.

Is this a limitation of the player software, or my soundcard?  I have
an MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR with onboard Nforce audio.  I use the coaxial
SPDIF output to a receiver that can accpet 24/96 audio.  The sound
drivers are the ALSA modules that came with gentoo 2.6.10-r6.

Any suggestions?