[mythtv-users] Where can I buy a xbox to make a frontend?

Will egroups at klubbing.com
Tue Mar 15 13:05:53 UTC 2005

> I'd really like to build a linux xbox mythtv frontend. Although I've
> read there are issues with the version 1.6 xbox.
>
> I'd really like to use the software method described at
> www.xbox-linux.org, because it sounds simpler and more reversible if I
> make a mess of it. Although it sounds like the version 1.6 xbox won't
> support this. I'd really like to buy an xbox, but I don't think I have
> any way of knowing what version of xbox I'm buying unless I actually
> look at the serial number on it and work out the version from there!
>
> I've read several people on here saying they use an xbox frontend. If
> you use one, which version do you use and where did you get it from?
> (I'm in the UK)

You can check the serial number simply by looking at the back of the box.
There is a hole in the box which shows the serial number of the xbox inside.
However, I very much doubt you'll be able to find an xbox earlier than a 1.6
nowadays, as I believe they started producing them mid-2004. Your best bet
would be to buy a secondhand one (perhaps from a shop like GameStation - our
local one always has secondhand ones available). Make sure all the seals on
the bottom are intact though, obviously.

Will