[mythtv-users] Dieing Hard Drive

Nathan Ford zimans at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 18:48:52 UTC 2005

So one of my hard drives is dying, or maybe it finally has died and
I'm just unwilling to admit to the fact. It's a 120Gb WD 7200 non
special Edition. Ironically enough this is my newest drive. I have
older drives still running fine.

Anyways, The drive started making horrible clicking noises. not
wanting to further any damage I hastily shut-down and removed it.
Since I've hooked it back up to try and get the files off of it. The
horrible clicking has stopped, and I can see some of the directory
structure, but when I go to try and copy a file it just errors.

I ran WD's tools in an attempt to fix the drive, it ran for awhile
before erroring out because of "too many errors".

Dunno if anyone has any words of wisdom as to how I may recover this
drive. The files on it aren't crucial, but it would be kinda
depressing to lose em.

I realize this this is off-topic as it's not directly myth-related,
and for that I apologize. I'm just looking for a little glimmer of
hope before I give up.

(I was using part of the drive to store myth files, but I also had
other stuff on there)

--Zims