[mythtv-users] MythVideo database resetting itself afteraddingsecond frontend

Darren Richards darren.richards at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 03:30:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:31:46 -0500, PAUL WILLIAMSON
<pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> wrote:
> >Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.  But I do have both frontends
> >pointing to the same location.  I guess the one difference is instead
> >of creating a link from /mnt/dvds to /video/dvds (where I have them
> >stored), I actually created the nfs mount directoy from /video/dvds
> on
> >my backend to  /video/dvds on my second frontend.  Maybe I'll try the
> >more "correct" way of creating the mount point in /mnt and creating a
> >symlink.
>
> Not a correct way really, just the way *I* prefer to do it.  I get
> confused easily, and I've been known to forget that a filesystem
> is nfs mounted.  No way I can do it this way...
>
> >But shouldn't the current setup work?  Both frontends are pointing to
> >/video/dvds.  That never changes, and I can always watch the movies
> >from either front end, but the database info keeps getting reset
> >whenever I bring up the video manager...
> >
> >Thanks again,
> >darren
>
> It should work.  If both frontends (local and remote) are pointing
> to the exact same path, all should be fine.  What you described
> certainly sounded like one was over-writing the other.
>
> Did you try to enter the IMDB stuff on the remote frontend, or
> just the local frontend?  When you did this, did you look in the
> mythconverg database to see exactly how the video was
> being seen by that frontend?
>
> Paul

Upon double-checking mysettings, it seems that one frontend was
pointing to /video/dvds, and the other was pointing to /mnt/hdb1/dvds.
 While physically they were the same place, they had two different
names.  Now that both are pointing to /video/dvds, the problem with
the database getting overwritten has been resolved, but I have a new
problem: I can no longer set unique player commands for each frontend.
 The settings I make on one frontend take affect on the other.  This
won't work for me because I have different hardware.  On one frontend,
I want to play the ac3 sound through my optical output (using the -ac
hwac3 flag on mplayer), but I don't want this on my other frontend...

How can I have different settings for the different frontends?

Thanks,
darren