[mythtv-users] 1000th picture quality question

Dan Goldberg dan at orca1.com
Mon Mar 14 23:19:30 UTC 2005

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 02:29:29PM -0800, Dan Goldberg wrote:
> > I know that picture quality must be one of the most frequently asked
> > questions. But... I can't seem to fix this. Basically the picture is not
> as
> > crisp as compared to the picture straight out of my DirecTV receiver.
> When I
> > switch between video inputs on the tv (i.e. s-video and coax) there's a
> > noticeable difference. The picture with mythtv is good enough, but it's
> > certainly not as crisp as it could be.
>
> You don't say which device is feeding the TV on which input, but if
> you're using RF at *all*, yes, the picture will be less impressive.
>
> Do your best to do an A/B comparison feeding S-video signals to the TV
> from both devices... Nothing else will really give you a fair test.
>
> If you're *really* motivated: get a multiburst pattern into both boxes,
> and feed their outputs into a waveform monitor.  :-)

My setup is the following: I split the coax output from my DirecTV receiver.
One output from the split goes straight into the tv. The other output from
the split goes into the mythtv box. The mythtv box then has s-video into the
tv. So, I can then switch between tv and Video1 to see differences in the
picture quality.

I wonder if that coax splitter could be a source of problems. Tonight I'll
try feeding the output of the DirecTV receiver straight into the mythtv box
and see what happens.

Dan.