[mythtv-users] DVD

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Mar 14 16:19:42 UTC 2005

> DVD-R works in about 93% of players tested, according to
> VideoHelp.com. That is the largest % of all formats tested. I have had
> DVD-Rs work in about 98% of the players I have used. Be careful of the
> media itself you purchase (lesser quality doesn't always work in all
> players, but, then again, neither does expensive). Recently, I've been
> using Memorex, Sony, and TDK discs, and all seem to work in my DVD
> players at home (a Sony 5-disc changer, a Go-Video VCR/DVD Recorder, a
> Go-Video player, and an APEX (cheap!) player)

 	My experience has been that if it doesn't fail outright from being
so cheap, the Apex player will play most media.  I've really only used
DVD- media, but lots of different, good/cheap brands of R and RW.  I don't
support DVD+ since they aren't part of the official standard.  My first
burner didn't support it, and they don't provide any benefit substantial
enough to justify inventing their own standard.  Take a look at:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/othervideo/dvdformats.htm

In particular:
"Although fans of the DVD+R format hate to hear this, the DVD+R format is
a rogue format, invented by greedy companies that were unwilling to pay
royalties to the DVD Forum in order to use and develop the DVD-R format
and/or use the DVD logo. The DVD+R format does not carry the DVD logo
because it is not an official DVD format. Does this make it a bad format?
No."

-Cory