[mythtv-users] Recycled PC as a frontend- disapointment?

Andrew Lynch lynchaj at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 15:51:38 UTC 2005

Your machine should be more than capable. Look into
the Xv capabilities of your video card as others have
suggested. Id also look at reducing the resolution of
the display to at most 640x480 or even lower.

I built a webpage on low end mythtv systems that may
help out some.

Be sure to write up your experiences and post them to
the web. Send me a link when you are done.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

http://www.dma.org/day-mug/lowrider.shtml
--- mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
<jscott at oddpost.com> wrote:
> I just installed knoppmyth on an old PC that I'm not
using any more, with the intention of using it as a
second frontend on my existing mythtv setup.

> My preliminary results are very disapointing. When I
play back prior recordings, the video is choppy, at
maybe 10 to 15 frames per second. The recordings are
made in mpeg4 at 352 x 352 resolution. I even tried
turning off deinterlacing, but performance didn't
improve.

> Is there something else I should try, or am I just
expecting too much from this old machine?

> Note that before deleting windoze from the machine,
I played a fairly high resolution divx file on windows
media player. It played almost perfectly, with just an
occasional hiccup on fast motion scenes. This gives me
the impression that the machine has sufficient
power...

> The machine's specifics:
> HP Pavillion 4550z
>    Celeron 466
>    128mb Ram
>    10 Gb Hard Drive
>    Onboard video (no TV output set up yet)
>    10/100 Ethernet hardwired
>
> Running MythTV 0.16 on both the front and backends.
>
> Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong, or how
I might be able to improve performance?