[mythtv-users] Video (Quality/Size) Issues

Mark L. Cukier mark at pemicro.com
Mon Mar 14 14:38:23 UTC 2005

Phil:

Thanks for the response.

I got the overscan issue fixed last night... i had to tweak the MythTV
GUI Size and over/underscan setting after that... but now the GUI looks
GREAT.

I had tried all that filtering, and I'm still not thrilled with the
picture. I fiddled with the nVidia settings color adjustments, and this
did help. Any other suggestions from anyone else out there....? My
picture is still washed out/grainy. However... see my next post for the
big problem....

Thanks again,
   Mark

Phill Edwards wrote:

>>(FYI, I'm using the 350 for capture and the 5200 for TV Out. I was
>>originally going to use the 350 for both, however the image quality as
>>horrible out of the 350...)
>>

>Lots of people seem to have problem with the 350 TV Out on this list,
>so you're in good company :)
>

>>1) It seems that the TV-OUT on the 5200 doesn't quite fill my screen.
>>There are black borders all around the image. I'm pretty sure this isn't
>>an X problem per-se... because even my grub screen has the same issue.
>>This is pretty annoying-- any ideas/suggestions??
>>

>Could be an overscan issue. In your xorg.conf you could try this in
>the Device section. Try a number of different settings to find the one
>that looks best:
>#       Option "TVOverScan" "Decimal value in range 0.0 to 1.0"
>        Option "TVOverScan" "0.60"
>

>>2) The Image quality is just not where I want it to be. The lines seem a
>>little blurred, and the colors are a touch washed out... it's *close*,
>>but not quite there. Has anyone noticed this issue? Are there any fixes?
>>

>Try these in your channel settings- they work for me:
>
>videofilter : adjust=18:237:1.0:35:220:1.0,denoise3d
>contrast : 23200
>brightness : 34000
>colour : 32000
>hue : 32768
>(If you have lots of chanels you may want to update the channel table
>directly in mysql).
>
>In modprobe.conf I have these chroma_agc and combfilter options for my
>BTTV card:
>options bttv card=55,37 radio=0 tuner=0,28 chroma_agc=1 combfilter=2
>YMMV with a 350.
>
>And in Setup --> T VSettings --> Playback I'm using Deinterlace (even
>tho I'm wathing it on a TV with the Bob 2x framerate algorithm. Try it
>and see it it works for you.
>

>>I've tried to get the DVI on my 5200 to display on my Sony with no luck,
>>and I'm hesitant to drop the $150 for the more Recent nVidia cards (with
>>Component out) until I'm sure they'll make my video appear the way I
>>want it to.
>>

>I seem to remember something about component out not being supported.
>You may want to check the archives for that.
>
>Regards,
>Phill

____________________________
*Mark L. Cukier*, /Design Engineer/