[mythtv-users] Is xfs flaky or is it my drive. Fedora Core 2, XFS, Myth .16 and .17

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Mon Mar 14 01:45:43 UTC 2005

tdixon at dixbizserv.com wrote:

> I have a myth box about 6 months old.  Fedora Core 2, new 200GB drive
> myth .16 and .17.
>
> I have the 200GB drive in a volume group for expansion, and its setup
> XFS for /video.  I run ok for a few days, then I'm watching something
> and it stops in the middle, check the logs and I'm getting XFS errors.
>  Stop myth, unmount, xfs_check.. problems get fixed and I run ok for a
> few days.  Then the problem reoccur.
>
> So my questions to the great users of myth..
>
> - Are people using XFS and finding it generally stable or flaky like I
> find it?

Been fairly stable for me for the last 6 months or so.  Brand new drives
sometimes have a few bad sectors in the first few months of operation in
my experience.  A sector reallocation tends to fix it.

> - What are people using as the file system for /video and are you
> happy/unhappy?
> - Do I need to pull this thing apart and do a surface test on the drive?

Before doing that why don't you use smartctl (part of smartmontools) and
try and run an extended test:

	smartctl -t long /dev/hd[a-z]

and see wether it passes or not.  If it does then try running a surface
test on the drive using the appropriate disk from the vendor.  However,
be warned sometimes this drives the disk over the edge and makes it
fail, so if you have another disk copy your data over first.

Yan