[mythtv-users] Is mythTV ready for prime time?

Rob Nichols rob at robnet.com
Sun Mar 13 05:36:53 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 06:07:19PM -0700, Justin Gombos wrote:
[snip]
> I'm throwing in the towel.  Looking at the archives of this list, it
> appears that this tool is still packed with gotchas, one complication
> after another.  Does anyone else share the same thoughts, or am I just
> having unusual difficulties?

I built a gentoo box about a year ago.  I think it took me about a week to get
everything setup, working a couple hours a day.  I was fairly new to gentoo,
so that accounted for some of that time (but very experienced with linux).  I
believe it is getting easier to install, but really can't be a good judge of
such things.  So it took some time, but I learned a lot.

It was all worth it.  MythTV is just unbelievably cool.  I never had a TiVo,
but talking with TiVo friends I think MythTV is quite a bit cooler than TiVo.
Yes, it's also probably more money and definitely more work than TiVo.

Anyway... any setup troubles were worth it to me!  I hope you get yours sorted
out and working.  Once you do you can never go back to normal TV.