[mythtv-users] Some Fedora Myth(TV)ology notes...

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Mar 13 02:27:57 UTC 2005

On Saturday 12 March 2005 10:00, Rob Greene wrote:
> First off, thanks a ton for your guide, Jarod!

:-)

> Generally, Fedora Myth(TV)ology worked wonderfully (FC3, MythTV 0.17).
> A few notes - not sure if these are common enough to be added in your
> notations - or just me not full reading the documentation:
>
>     * msp3400.ko would not load until the msp3400-ivtv.ko was named
> msp3400.ko. Per the guide, the original
> /lib/modules/$KVER/kernel/drivers/media/video/msp3400.ko module was
> renamed so it would not run.

There's a better fix for that in my doc, as Tim Fenn mentioned...

alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv

...in modprobe.conf

>     * Regarding msp3400, I added options msp3400 once=1 simple=1 to
> the /etc/modprobe.conf file to get sound working.

Hm, that certainly shouldn't be necessary. I would suggest getting a log dump
to the ivtv list.

>     * The IvyTV drivers were not loading automagically, so I needed to
> force them to load in /etc/rc.local as such (I'm sure there are better
> ways, but I definately did need to "force" them to load):
>
>         modprobe ivtv
>         sleep 2           # I think this was to allow "/dev/video*" to
> be created??
>         service mythbackend start

There's a better fix for that in my doc as well, which Tim also mentioned.
Actually, Tim's method might be even better, since it doesn't require
modifying a core component. (The best fix is to update whatever needs
updating so ivtv returns similar info as bttv to get auto-loaded after udev
starts).

> Now I've just got the skipping/stuttering when playing. I'm watching
> threads on those...

No clue there. I don't watch live TV. :-)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...