[mythtv-users] Watching 1080i on a 720p DLP HDTV

john roberts homepagez at lycos.com
Sun Mar 13 02:14:20 UTC 2005

For almost a year now I've been using MythTV through a VGA cable to my Samsung DLP.  The Samsung has a DVI - so why am I using the VGA you ask? ;)

It seems the Samsung reports "Unsupported Mode" when I try to watch any 1080i content (well - more correctly when XRANDR tells the TV to switch to a 1080i modeline.

I found this to be the best method - since the TV seems to deal with de-interlacing better then BOB/others.

Has anyone come up with a different solution which would allow me to use my nice DVI interface on the HDTV?  Seems like a shame to drive the Samsung using the VGA - but since the VGA interface seems to access a 1080i modeline - and I've never been real happy with the BOB de-interlacing - I thought this was the best route.

Any one?

Thanks,

-John