[mythtv-users] Sound cards playing musical chairs

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 23:48:16 UTC 2005

> >I have 2 sound cards - 1 is on-board using module snd_intel8x0 on
> >/dev/dsp1 and the other is a PCI card using module snd_cmipci on
> >/dev/dsp0.
> >
> >Most of the time this works fine. But then, usually when it's time to
> >record my favourite program, they remap themselves so that I get the
> >sound from the a different program on other tuner as the sound on my
> >recording. It seems that the allocation of module to /dev/dsp device
> >is random because one days it works, the next it doesn't.
> >
> >I've asked this before here but not had much luck, so I'm hoping
> >someone can help me this time. There simply _must_ be a way of
> >stopping the sound cards swapping around like this.
> >
> >I've noticed that this rarely, if ever, happens on 2.6.10-1.9_FC2
> >kernel, but happens a lot on 2.6.10-1.14_FC2.
> >
> >Modprobe.conf sound section looks like this:
> >alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
> >alias snd-card-0 snd-cmipci
> >install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
> >/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> >remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> >}; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
> >install snd-cmipci /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-cmipci &&
> >/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> >remove snd-cmipci { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> >/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-cmipci
> >
> >In the MythTV Setup screens I associate tuner card 0 with /dev/dsp1
> >and /dev/mixer1, and tuner card 1 with /dev/dsp0 and /dev/mixer1. My
> >sound out is set to /dev/dsp1.
> >
> >Can anyone please help me solve this as it's a RRPITA (right royal pain...)
> >

> I had a similar problem on my system recently and I solved it by making
> sure the alsasound service (chkconfig alsasound on) was started on
> boot.  That script ensures that the sounds drivers are modprobed in the
> proper order you specify.

Thanks, I will give this a go. I'm not actually running the alsasound
service at the moment so I will set this up.

When you say "modprobed in the proper order you specify" can you
please describe just what you mean by that? Does that refer to the
snd-card-0/1 in "alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0" and "alias snd-card-0
snd-cmipci" or is it just the order they appear in modprobe.conf?
Perhaps you could send through your modprobe.conf so I can see what
you mean?

Thanks,
Phill