[mythtv-users] PVR-350 (hard) lockups, Fixed!

Maverick mavantix at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 22:16:21 UTC 2005

> Thanks for this post I have been having the same problems with my
> PVR250.  I have been considering buying a new mobo/cpu to try and
> solve the problem.  Could you send me links to the hardware you
> bought, mobo and ram in particular?  Also, did you use the retail fan
> on the processor and if so how loud is it?  I have that HDD by the way
> and I agree it is awesome

The stock (yes, retail AMD) cpu fan is the only audiable noise from
the case, and is louder than anything else in the case. It doesn't
whine, so it isn't bothering me too much, but I intend on doing
something different. Since the LC11 has a side mount vent/fan RIGHT
NEXT to the CPU, I was thinking about getting a cpu cooler like a
Zalman and not use it's fan, just let the case mounted fan right there
do the cooling.

Newegg Order, prices are a couple weeks ago...

MB NFORCE2 7NIF2-SUMMIT CHTECH RTL - $70.00
Newegg Item #: N82E16813152020
I assume allready replaced by the 7NIF4, looks like it adds support
for AMD Sempron and SATA:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-051&depa=1

CPU AMD|2700 /333 ATHLON XP RTL - $107.00
Newegg Item #: N82E16819103342
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-342&depa=0

DRAM 256MB|PC3200 WTEC 35135588-P - 2 for $54.42
Item #: N82E16820161614
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-161-614&depa=0

HD (I got originally for my old box before buying more hardware):
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-152-014&depa=1

If I redid it, I'd go SATA, cable routing is tight in the LC11:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-152-015&depa=1

Case (I went for the Black/Wood):
http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/153

Silver verison:
http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/cPath/23/products_id/154

PVR-350:
http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/10/products_id/50

Now that driver support the the PVR-500 is improving, I may add it as
a secondary tuner and have 3 tuners, but I'm not sure if that's
necessary. I doubt I'll ever need to record three things at once... I
might upgrade my board to that SATA version, and find a nice SATA
dvd... Right now, the system just has an old junk cdrom I used to
install...

-Kenneth