[mythtv-users] Question about Video's loading time.

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Fri Mar 11 21:54:49 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 20:50 +0000, Stephen Boddy wrote:
> On Friday 11 March 2005 17:58, Jay wrote:
> > of just under 15000 videos. From the time I click Videos, to the time it
>
> Tell me that's a typo... 15000!!! If that was 700 MB / video you'd need 10
> Terabytes!!! Or are they all real small clips?
>
> I can't answer you question directly, but at the risk of teaching the
> proverbial grandma to suck eggs, a couple of things to try. Use:
> vmstat 1 10000
> while you open the video part. Is the cpu high for system, user, or waiting?
> Are lots of processes waiting to run or blocked? Is it swapping like crazy,
> or is the disk IO through the roof?
>
> Also try something like iptraf. Is the network maxing out? This should give
> you some indication as to where the problem lies.

Some other things to try:
1. top
2. Run mythfrontend from a terminal and send its output to a text file.
Do a 'tail -f' on that logfile and see if it's spewing errors
3. Do a tcpdump from the frontend and see at what point the NFS traffic
starts.  The goal is to see if NFS load is killing you or something
before the reading of the video.  If, after 12 or so minutes (as stated)
the video plays fine, I'm assuming that the network itself is fine.
4. use 'strace -p' on the frontend process to see if it's getting stuck
anywhere familiar..

	-I