[mythtv-users] Audio volume 'good' after upgrade to .17 and kernel 770_14

Peter Judge peter at judge.co.za
Thu Mar 10 23:46:50 UTC 2005

Hi,

> Upgrading to ivtv-0.3.2h and MythTV 0.17 did not solve my sound
> problems. Gould you please post your modules setup? The relevant parts
> of modules.conf.

I followed Jarod's guide pretty closely; my modprobe's at the end of the
email.

> Also, what sound device are you using in MythTv?
> Sound is ok in all Myth modules except TV.

I'm using "ALSA:dmix-digital" as the sound device (since I'm using
S/PDIF output) . That reminds me, I've got to try MythMusic now that
I've upgraded to 17 ...

If you're trying to use digital out sound, the wiki at mythtv.info is
really really useful.

> What does your 'amixer' output look like?

Long. ;) Which bits are you interested in? I remember having to go in to
alsamixer and making sure that the Capture input is a capture device (it
has 'CAPTUR' underneath). To get to the input devices in alsamixer,
press F4. F3 toggles you back to output devices. Or vice versa. Press
'h' for help.

I landed up reading a lot of assorted doc, and the official doc at
mythtv.org is useful in this regard. I didn't have to do anything
special to get this all to work.

> Sorry to ask for all this information, but the very low TV volume is
> annoying.. no point in buying a PVR-350 card if what you record is of
> that quality..

I'm using a PVR-250, not that that should make a diff.

HTH,
Peter

<modprobe>
alias eth0 forcedeth
# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
# the next line needed to make ivtv work
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0
&& /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1
|| : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.8 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
lirc_i2c

# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-6629
</modprobe>