[mythtv-users] How I got great quality TV-out on my nVidia MX4000

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Thu Mar 10 12:28:10 UTC 2005

HI!

Cory Papenfuss wrote:

>>>     I've mentioned what I did in the past, starting with
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/45910#45910
>>> Basically built up the circuit in the AD724 datasheet.  It's a
>>> surface-mount chip, and circuit layout is a little important (a few
>>> MHz bandwidth video signal), so I make a PCB.  I've thought of making
>>> a slightly nicer one (with VGA loop, though, etc).  If there were
>>> enough interest I suppose I could finish it off and send off for a
>>> limited run of PCBs.
>>

>> Any chance for a PAL version?
>>
>     The AD724 supports PAL encoding as well as NTSC, so it should be

But there is something different that goes beyond the frequency, AFAIK.
If I connect a PAL TV to an NTSC S-vid, I would get a B/W picture. Or
was that with composite (cinch)? Or is that AD724 switchable between PAL
nad NTSC?

> possible.  If I had SCART, though, I'd rather use that.  It'd be better
> quality than a PAL S-vid, since you could put out RGBHV directly, rather
> than convert to Y/C and modulate on the color subcarrier.

That's right. But not all TVs have RGB-capable scart connectors.

On the other hand, if you would do VGA->SCART with RGB, you would have
basically this, right?

http://www.sput.nl/hardware/tv-x.html

Someone else here wrote, that RGB is *too* sharp for MPEG2 video,
meaning that you see the artifacts then.

Thomas