[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv backend on a headless fileserver

Lasse Lindgård Lazlo at jay.net
Thu Mar 10 10:14:17 UTC 2005

Quoting Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com>:

> On Wednesday 09 March 2005 16:05, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 09 March 2005 15:03, Grant Edwards wrote:
> > > When I asked, I was told to install X and Qt. Â I agree that
> > > having to install X on a headless fileserver seems silly.
> >
> > How else are you going to run the setup utility?
>
> qt-embedded, of course.

Hi Jarod,

Thanks for all your replies.

I can see from the archive link you provided me that there must be some bug in my ebuild file. Should be fixable - even by someone like me.

So just to get it straight. If I compile mythtv with Qt/E I will be able to launch the setup program if I attach a monitor to my server?

On the reasons why I don't want X on my system. I am trying to keep my system as minimal and clean as possible. I just don't think it is fair to force me into using several hours to install and configure X just to run a silly setup program. To the time it will take to install X add the time it will take to keep all those extra packages up to date in the future. I just don't want to if it is possible to avoid it. The reason I run linux (gentoo) is that I get to choose what I want and what I do not want on my system.

/Lasse